- - MedComm
- Columbus, OH, USA
- Full Time
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
FTE STATUS: 1.0
Responsible for receiving, processing and arranging requests for medical transportation (helicopter and ground ambulance) while working within the designated hospital Transfer Center. Ensuring accurate patient information is gathered and entered within the dispatching software in a rapid, effective and accurate manner. Works closely with hospital transfer center staff to coordinate all aspects of the mission and monitors the location of all transport units allowing the update information to be shared and communicated to appropriate and responsible transfer center personnel. Collects and maintains accurate records of information received via the Transfer Center and requesting personnel. This information will include pre and post-transport patient documentation and transport records.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Knows and meets all of the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Actively seeks feedback on quality of service provided and assists with the development of process improvement.
- Understands both the stated and unstated values of MedFlight. Lives up to the organization values at all times. Considers mission statement, vision, and values in making decisions and taking actions.
- Builds good relationships and rapport with internal and external customers, peers, supervisors and management. Treats all people with dignity and respect.
- Monitors location and maintains awareness of helicopter and ground ambulance locations and communicates updated arrivals and departures to appropriate transfer center staff.
- Actively participates in transports by adapting to unpredictable situations within the arranging and dispatch process by utilizing consistent, solid problem solving skills. Will help facilitate the transition from one mode to another when primary mode is unavailable due to weather or maintenance.
- Provides superior customer service to both internal and external customers (communication center colleagues, hospital staff and leadership) by professionally and effectively communicating all relevant information and providing real time updates utilizing clear, effective and precise communication techniques and delivery.
- Maintains accurate records of information including pre and post-transport patient documentation and transport records.
- Collects and records proper information to ensure all required data is accurately and consistently entered in the dispatch program in a timely manner.
- Protects the privacy of all patient information in accordance with MedFlight's policies, procedures, practices, as required by federal and state law, and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a Transport Coordinator.
- Maintains a safe environment in the Transfer Center limiting distractions, interruptions, and will promote a professional, clean, cohesive, safe environment. This includes extreme limited use of personal cell phones, phones must by silent or on vibrate mode, and are not to be used to watch personal entertainment. No ear buds are permitted and any personal calls conducted must be conducted outside of the transfer center. No personal devices are allowed e.g., laptops or related, similar items.
- Participates in efforts to ensure and promote all MedFlight services by assisting with patient transports.
- While on duty creates and maintains a positive, cohesive environment which fosters teamwork, superior customer service and the highest level of professionalism.
- Participates and assists with Laserfiche and other related workflow processes and assist with special projects and ongoing and on demand reports / projects.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Answers incoming phone calls in a timely manner.
- Consistently follows standardized information and data collection as it relates to a safe patient transports.
- Provide a high level of support and customer service to hospital Transfer Center personnel.
- Update Transfer Center personnel of transport request acceptance and provide real-time updates of the patient's arrival status.
High School diploma or equivalent
Medical terminology or medical related equivalent
Preferred 1 year of EMS, hospital and/or medical dispatching experience preferred as it relates to critical care medicine. Previous experience regarding patient logistics and throughput preferred.
Ability to demonstrate outstanding professionalism
Ability to work well with others to accomplish work tasks in an effective, efficient manner.
Ability to effectively multi-task at a high level
Ability to verbally communicate clearly and precisely in stressful situations
Ability to reach and grasp with arms and hands
Normal hearing and vision ability
Knowledge of basic computer skills
Proficient typing skills
Knowledge of medical terminology
Work requires interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with internal and external personnel in stressful situations and to act as a representative of MedFlight to the public.
Ability to work a flexible schedule
Ability to sit for long periods of time at a work station
Ability to easily move within a department without physical restraint
Must demonstrate alertness at all times and be able to withstand high amounts of stress
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees, assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
MedFlight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MedFlight is a private, non-profit company made possible by our consortium hospitals: OhioHealth (Owner), The Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University (Owner), and Kettering Health Network (Affiliate Member).
MedFlight is a tobacco free environment. Use of tobacco products during working hours and on MedFlight property is prohibited.
MedFlight is an equal opportunity employer.